I AM PERSUADED THAT HE IS ABLE:
TO BE RIGHT ON TIME (part 5)
John 11:33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, 34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. 35 Jesus wept.
Let’s make sure we get the whole picture:
1. Jesus saw her weeping
2. Jesus groaned in the spirit
3. Jesus was troubled
4. Jesus asked where they laid Lazarus
5. Jesus wept
Beside the fact that verse thirty-five is the shortest verse in the Bible, and the verse that we all claimed as a memorized verse when we were kids and were required to memorize verses, this verse gives us great insight to the heart of Jesus.
When Jesus saw Mary and others weeping, the Bible says that Jesus “groaned” in His spirit. This word means to be angry with, almost with indignation. Then the verse says that this “troubled” Jesus. Literally, this really bothered Jesus. We will get into the specifics of that tomorrow. Notice here a few things.
1. JESUS SAW HER WEEPING.
Jesus has a special way of seeing. Jesus sees things that other people do not see. Jesus sees past the face into the heart. Jesus looks through the tears into the very soul.
2. JESUS SENSED HER WEEPING
Jesus “groaned in the spirit”. He literally felt what she felt. Jesus was troubled. The Bible says that Jesus is touched by our trials. He feels them when we go through them.
* Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
3. JESUS SHARED HER WEEPING
“Jesus wept.” Jesus cried to. He was troubled, and He was touched. Jesus was touched by cities:
* Luke 19:41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,
And we see here that Jesus is touched by people. May I remind you today that Jesus is touched by the things that you go through. He sees it, He senses it, and He shares it.
* Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: ………. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows:…