I AM PERSUADED THAT HE IS ABLE:
TO TAKE NOTICE WHEN WE PRAY (part 3)
Matthew 8:8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel
So far, we have learned to be unselfish and humble as we call upon the Lord. Now we find the greatest ingredient in a person’s prayer life. You guessed it: “FAITH”.
This centurion had so much faith in God’s ability, that he did not require proof or performance from Jesus. He told Jesus that if He would just speak the word, he believed his servant would be healed. In other words, he did not have to see his friend being healed in order to believe that Jesus did heal. Remember:
* Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
* II Corinthians 5: 7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
* Ephesians 3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.
* Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
* James 1: 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
It is interesting to me that when Jesus heard this man say this, Jesus “marveled”. Jesus could not believe what He heard. The fact that this kind of faith would come from this kind of man. Centurions in charge of soldiers were normally against Jesus because their political leaders were. But this centurion was “all in”. This centurion felt that the word of Jesus was just as powerful as His miracles. He knew that Jesus could heal his friend right from where he was standing. That is faith in a miraculous power. And this man had it. Then Jesus said that this man had more faith than anyone else in Israel. Wow. God has told us that if we have faith only as big as the grain of a mustard seed, that mountains could be moved. I think that if God senses the smallest piece of faith in our life that is totally trusting and confident in God, I believe God notices that. The bottom line is that the servant was healed. Remember this today, Faith produces answered prayer.