35. But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
36. Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
37. Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
38. For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.
In verses 27-40 a group of Sadducees ask Jesus a question about the resurrection. This group did not believe in the resurrection due to it not being in the Torah (Genesis-Deuteronomy), and they were hoping to trap Jesus. Verses 35-38 is Jesus’ response to the Sadducees.
Jesus makes some points to the Sadducees in his response that I would like to remind you of today.
1. You are worthy: “But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world.” This is referring to the individuals that have put their faith and trust in Jesus. If you are saved today, that is you!
2. Remember who you belong to: Jesus states, “…they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God.” If you are saved today, you are a child of God. You belong to him!
3. He is the God of the living: “For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.”
I enjoy watching people’s behaviors and actions in certain situations. One thing that I have noticed is that people love taking the smallest thing possible and focusing on it. They allow this small thing to cause extreme amounts of stress, anxiety, frustration, anger and even bitterness. Before they know it, that small thing has taken over their life, and it has consumed them to the point it is all they see.
I wish I could say that Christians never experience this, but unfortunately, I cannot. However, God gives us some great reminders here that can help. No matter how unappreciated you may feel today, God sent his son to die for you to make you worthy. Let me remind you that if you are saved today, that God has made you worthy. No matter how alone you may feel today, if you are saved you are a child of God and belong to him! And no matter how broken you may feel, God has made you alive. Let’s all stop focusing on the small things of this world and give our focus to the one who has given us everything. God did not give us the promise of resurrection to be a slave to the problems of this world. Let’s remember who we belong to and give him the praise for it!