I AM PERSUADED THAT HE IS ABLE:
TO MAKE US WHOLE (part 4)
John 5:5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.
This DISABLED, DESPERATE, DISAPPOINTED man had a long time to become a man that was disappointed. We would assume that he had tried everything he could possibly try to get help for his condition. He had I am sure been let down by numerous doctors, medicines, friends, care givers etc. A lot of things and people will fail you over the years, how this man knew that well.
1. Religion and good works will fail you – Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
2. Being a good person will fail you – Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
3. Trusting in the goodness of God will fail you – Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
4. Family associations will fail you – Phl 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Phl 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Phl 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Phl 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
5. Church affiliation will fail you – John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
All these things are good things but will fail to make us whole. Do you trust in some of these things in ways that you should not? It can produce false stability. He spent thirty-eight years trying everything, but all he needed was Jesus.