I AM PERSUADED THAT HE IS ABLE:
TO SHOW US THE WAY (part1)
JOHN 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
“How can we know the way”. Thomas always seemed to be a little bit skeptical. I can understand that. I tend to be that way myself sometimes. Gone are the days when people just believe anything they hear. In our day, we have internet, google, search engines, and apps right on our phones. If you are going to claim something now, you better be able to prove it and back it up. Well, Jesus backs it up here. Thomas asked sincere questions, and Jesus gives specific answers.
What do we learn from what Jesus answered?
HOW CAN I BE SAVED?
Jesus answers, “I am the way”.
• “I am” is His claim. In Greek, it is the first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; which means I exist, I am, I have been, it is I, I was. This is a reference to Jehovah which means, ”I was the way, I am the way, I always will be the way”.
• “The way” is the condition. In other words, there are no other ways to get where He was going. He did not say serving Him was the way. He did not say telling others about him was the way. He did not say worshipping him was the way. He is the way, period.
HOW CAN I BE SURE?
Jesus answers, “I am….the truth”
1. GOD IS TRUE WHETHER I BELIEVE IT OR NOT:
• Rom 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? 4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;
2. BECAUSE GOD IS TRUE, GOD LEADS US INTO TRUTH
• 1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
3. THE SON IS TRUE BECAUSE GOD THE FATHER IS TRUE
1. John 7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
You and I can be saved, and be sure about it, because we believe in the truth. We must judge everything against God’s Word because that is truth. If it does not agree with the Bible, is not the truth. Despite everything that is out there, we do not have to struggle with what is right, wrong, or truthful. We have it in knowing Christ, and in knowing God’s Word.